Thursday, March 1, 2012

The Beauty of Chanting

Lately I have had difficulty with meditating, but it is easier for me if I chant because I focus on the words.  My mind is busy and feels distracted, but I can not give up on my chanting.  I used to chant in the US and then I stopped for a while and now I have been chanting since the beginning of January 2012 and it feels very good.  Here are some chants I enjoy:

1.) Gayatri Mantra

Aum, Bhur, Bhuvah, Swah
Tat Savitur Varenyam,
Bhargo Devasya Dheemahi,
Dheeyoyonah Prachodayat


Aum-The primal supreme name of God


Bhur-The giver of life


Bhuvah-The remover of pain and sorrows


Swah-the bestower of happiness


Tat-that


Savitur-the creator of the universe


Varenyam-worth assimilating


Bhargo devasya-luminescence, which by all its radiance destroys sins


Dheemahi- we meditate upon and assimilate


Dheeyoyonach prachodayat-may he inspire and enlighten our intellects


O’God! Giver of life, remover of all pain and sorrows, bestower of happiness, the creator of the universe, thou art most luminous, adorable, and destroyer of sins.  We meditate upon thee.  May thou inspire, enlighten, and guide our intellect in the right direction.


2.)Hare Krishna chant-

Hare Krishna,
Krishna Krishna
Hare hare
Hare rama
Hare rama
rama, rama
Hare hare


3.) Om- Nama- Shiva


108 meditation beads= the amount of times one is suppose to chant

Give them a try and see how you like chanting.  Find a chant that feel connected with and select a time you feel comfortable with whether two minutes or five minutes.  I start with 5 minutes a day and if it is a good day I will chant more.  

No comments:

Post a Comment