Saturday, March 24, 2012

Where Everybody Knows Your Name

A place you want to go where everybody knows your name and their always glad you came. 

American's know this song as the famous song from the television show, Cheers. I kept thinking about this song while walking the streets of Jaselmer because everyone knows your name and from where you came.  This can have it's positive and negative attributes.  For instance, everyone knew the host and the hotels I was staying at and people liked to comment on my host.  Locals told me that my host was married and a "playboy" so I should stay away.  I told them I have a boyfriend and this does not matter to me, but they would continue to gossip and talk.  A city full of men that acted like women gossiping about other men. It is common for a small town to gossip, but I have never seen such gossiping among men.  There is some clear jealousy going on and competition in this city.

At the end of the day, sometimes you want a person to know your name and sometimes you just want some peace.  Walking the streets, people are constantly stopping me to ask about my stay, my plans, and where I am going.  My host told me to walk around with headphones, which I would not normally do, but towards the end thought this might be a good idea.  

Towards the end of my four day stay, I felt ready to leave because I felt like I had no privacy at all.  Not only did people gossip, people knew where I was and what I was doing for the day, especially my host.  Instead of asking me what I did, he gave me a play by play of my day.  
"So you were driving G's motor bike in the village." 
The villages were ten kilometers outside the city so I have no idea how he can figure out this information.  Stopping for ice cream, shopping for rugs, going to the gardens-I felt like my whole day was being recorded.  Where are the cameras at?
My host, L, is well known in the city so this maybe why he has these special connections to find out where I am and what I am doing...to be continued...

2 comments:

  1. Pri Pri,

    I really enjoy reading your posts. The best ones detail your interactions with the locals. When I read them, I hear your voice in my head and I can't help but smile and laugh. I'm amazed by all of the adventures that you set off on. I don't think I would be comfortable doing what you're doing, so I am living through you! :)

    Thinking of you from BG,
    V (Ness ness)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nessa,
    So good to hear from you=) You know I am actually not much different from when we were young kids-still love to joke and entertain and explore like no other. Thanks to you I have great memories to look back on=) And yes the local interactions are my favorite-often I have to look around and wonder where the cameras are and wonder why there are not cameras following ha!
    Sending you much love from across the world and many blessings to your family and significant other.

    LOVE

    PRI PRI

    ReplyDelete