Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Book Read: Emily Perkins-Novel About My Wife

This book was about an English man,Tom, who is madly in love with his wife, Ann, a fiery red head in her mid forties who is having their first child.  Before and during her pregnancy, she is having symptoms of paranoia, cognitive distortions-thoughts that a homeless man is following her and trying to kill her. 

With little knowledge of mental illness, Tom is believing her false claims rather than acknowledging she has a severe psychological problem. She ends up committing suicide and Tom is left to care for their son and he mourns over the loss of his beloved wife. 

After reading this book, I thought to myself, "Is this it?".  I thought I really missed the punchline and went back to read over chapters.  It did not make any sense to me as to if she really killed herself or if someone killed her? It was quite disappointing and I would NOT recommend this book. 

Things I learned from the book

When you love someone, you are blind/in denial to their sickness and want to satisfy their beliefs and concerns

Some people are truly in love from the second they meet until the death of their significant other

The man more in love with the woman than the woman is in love with the man-this is the way it should be....

The end...

No comments:

Post a Comment