Sunday, January 15, 2012

New Years Day 2012

"The starting of a brand new day..."

New Years Day I woke up and decided it was time to get moving and start the New Year off right so that meant it was time to run! Now keep in mind from my other posts about movement in Asia-it is pretty much non-existent. Whenever I run people look at me like I am crazy, which I gain even more entertainment from ha! So I knew running in Bangalore would be quite an adventure. 

I left my cousin’s house with no sense of direction just with my running shoes,my sunglasses and my surgical mask to prevent inhaling the fumes. I had many looks from men and I turned those looks into smiles as I waived and shouted, “Happy New Year.” I saw men peeing in the street, cows roaming the streets, street vendors with many local delicacies, women cutting fresh flowers, locals leaving from temple, cooking inside of homes, dogs roaming the streets, kids running and splashing through puddles of dirty water, and so many men standing in front of shops and on the streets socializing.  Kids were playing baseball in dirt fields, coconuts on every corner, huge papayas and watermelons, and just the beauty of people trading. 

As I ran down the narrow streets, up and down hills with riksha’s and cars beeping non-stop I felt ALIVE. These streets make you feel alive and this city makes me feel ALIVE and I love it. I smiled and said hello to so many people and again they have such hope and beauty in their eyes when I acknowledge them and wish them well. My heart is very connected to my people and finally we are united. This is a life long love affair with my Indian people-don’t worry I won’t let you down and I will try my best to stay connected with you and acknowledge your being.  The sunset coming down on the busy city was a nice end to the day.  I managed to stay out til darkness as I was exploring the shopping centers and dropping in the markets and local stores. 

We spend January 1 walking through our lives, room by room, drawing up a list of work to be done, cracks to be patched. Maybe this year, to balance the list, we ought to walk through the rooms of our lives... not looking for flaws, but for potential. ~Ellen Goodman

No comments:

Post a Comment