Monday, November 21, 2011

Just Can’t Get Enough

You become addicted to the feeling of “doing good.” Perhaps that is why I have made a career out of it. Volunteering in all shapes and form and social services with populations ranging from poor to wealthy- it is all the same work under the same “Umbrella of Giving”(PRIS).  No amount of money can replace the immediate gratification you receive from seeing someone smile and the gratitude and appreciation in someone’s eyes and body language. 
Let us touch the dying, the poor, the lonely and the unwanted according to the graces we have received and let us not be ashamed or slow to do the humble work Mother Teresa
I just wanted to dedicate myself to the Red Cross- wake up and go to the Red Cross and do not leave until the sun goes down or stay until we clap and get the green light to go.  The smiles continued with people being so nice to me and welcoming.  There was not ever a time where I felt left out or treated in a mean or unfair way.  Everyone made attempts to include me and catered to me.  Back to my theory of positivity, having these simple, positive interactions makes you happier and creates increased number of positive interactions.   For example, people would ask if I wanted water and they would nicely bring it to me.  I began to do the same thing.  If someone dropped something on the street far away from me, I would run to pick it up for them.  I have good intentions and a good heart and the Thai culture brought the goodness out of me with people and these simple interactions.   
 We can shape our behavior off an environment we can identify with or feel connected to…PRIS

New York brought out negativity in me, building a tough exterior, having attitude and mirroring my environment, being careless, and self absorbed.  It is amazing how strongly our environment can impact what we need, want, feel, desire, and love.  As human beings, everyone has potential to become better, happier, and to live in their purpose.  It is the environment that brings out our good qualities or bad and finding an environment that best suites our individual needs and personality is key.   There will be a lot more on this in depth at a later time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment