Thursday, November 24, 2011

Extra Attention for the American girl with the Dog Bite

Instead of leaving early for a hike, I decide to be responsible and go get the Rabies vaccine.  I do have travel insurance for a reason so I might as well use it.  I stop in the hospital and using my insurance is a big deal that takes 2 days so I decide to go to a public hospital- Maharaj.  Many of the hospitals have my last name in it-I took that as a sign to go the hospital-I am serious I did.
So i walked in and was immediately treated like a queen.  People were in front of me and the receptionist just skipped over them and asked me how she could help.  I felt bad for the other people waiting and quickly told her my situation.  Immediately she sent me in the ER where a nurse held my hand and told me, “Come madam sit down.” As I follow her instructions I lay down for about 30 seconds and up comes 15 interns and a doctor all staring at my dog bite.  This hospital was a student hospital, but it was actually one of the best in Northern Thailand so I followed my host’s recommendation.  Again, I speak slowly and clearly.  They just keep looking at me and smiling and laughing, which tends to be a common reaction when I start talking ha! The one guy keeps saying, “Hmm, yes, hmmm.” It is fascinating the way they all stare at the bite and then look at one another. 

The doctor is very sweet, kind, knowledgble , and speaks way better English than his interns. He tells me that the Center for Disease Control(CDC) recommends a series of five different shots.  I look at him and say, “Five really?” Not a good response I know, but I was in a bit of shock. 1, 3, 7, 21, and 28 days, Outside of Thailand, I have to go to Laos and Vietnam for shots? Not very thrilled about that at all and not to mention it just takes time from my trip. He says if I do the first three shots I should be ok. 

I ended up getting two shots at this hospital and have to do one more in Laos.  Oh I wish I could have recorded the little Dougie Houser’s of Maharaj and my little acting performance.  I give myself an A-!

No comments:

Post a Comment