Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Are you and American?

Often when I travel, my response is mixed when identifying myself as an American. I am proud of my education, work experience, American travels, and amazing friends. Unfortunately, the "American dream" is a conspiracy to me, which I will go into in my other blog. 
Therefore, I choose to take the high road and give myself to the world.  Therefore identifying myself as a "world citizen."
I love my interactions/interpersonal relationships abroad and commit myself to a life of service to others abroad.  I am a social constructionist-a person who speaks from built up life experiences that create self realizations and theories on human behavior. I speak from my own experience-not from myths and stereotypes. 

Many foreginers have labeled Americans to be rude, obnoxious, poorly mannered, and non-assertive when traveling.  I have experienced
this first hand when traveling, which is why I usually avoid them and utilize couch surfing and always interact with locals.  But I do not place blame on the individual rather on the environment-the culture and system of America.(This will be further explained in seperate book/blog)

As an American traveler, I try not to fill these beliefs/stereotypes of American tourists.  I am polite, make attempts to learn the language, practice pronunciation with locals, smile, engage in respectful,cultural norms/practices, and dress appropriately.

When people say, "I did not think you were American." That is when I know I am doing the right thing and it makes me feel good.  The depth of learning about cultures and exploring is at a whole new level.

At the end of the day, I am not in denial.  I am 100% aware of my identity.  I walk around with a US passport and speak English as a first language.  But I am an American critic who will always analyze and write about a culture that does not support true happiness and self actualization of human beings. 

Stay tuned for many more writings from this American critic/World Citizen!

Copyright:
Priscilla Raj

Are you proud to be identified as an American when you travel?

No comments:

Post a Comment